Recipient of the 2003 Solomon Schechter Silver Award for Excellence in Synagogue Programming
This 24-hour annual event is coordinated by Congregation Beth Torah Men’s Club. Volunteers sign up in 15 minute increments to read the names of those perished in the Holocaust. The names are read from 9PM Saturday until 9PM Sunday. If you prefer, we invite you to listen…be a witness as the names are read.
Many of the Holocaust victim’s names have not been mentioned in over 70 years. Most of the time, victims were only known by their number and never received a proper memorial. You now have the opportunity to rekindle their spirit by reading and/or listening to their names.
Press coverage from previous years. Click a link or image to read—
To read names for 2019, sign up in Congregation Beth Torah’s lobby or call Kenyett in the CBT office at 972.234.1542 x227. Live out of the area? Read via Skype. Contact Ed, Laura, and Jeff by the phone numbers or email below.
Saturday, May 4
- 9:30 AM Shabbos Service and Celebration of Life , Our Continued Celebration of the B’nai Mitzvah of Those Who Could Not with Nat Cohen on “History of the Horovice Torah.”
- 9:15 PM Candle lighting ceremony signifying the start of 24-hours reading of the names of those who perished in the Holocaust up to 8AM Sunday.
Sunday, May 5
- 8:00 AM Shacharit Service
- 9:30 AM Breakfast (breakfast is $7 per Men’s Club member / $10 per non-member / $5 per student)
- 10:00 AM
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Voices of Diversity singing
- 10:15 AM
- The Honorable Senator Florence Shapiro and Mary Pat Higgins, President and CEO of the Dallas Holocaust Museum/Center for Education and Tolerance previewing the new Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum
- 11:30 AM Reading of the Names continues
- 8:45 PM Circle of Life—Community joins together in forming a circle and reading names in turn. Participants are encouraged to bring the names of their loved ones who perished. Led by Laura Shwarts.
- 9:00 PM Closing of the vigil
1 May (Wednesday) Erev Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day), light a Shoah Yellow Candle: The Forgotten YAHRZEITS. Click here to read about this particular candle. Candles are available at Congregation Beth Torah. Click here for a printable copy of the candle meditation. All donations benefits Reading of the Names programming.
For more information…
Visit our event on Facebook (https://cbt.news/vigil-2019)
Ed Matisoff (972.208.2632), Jeff Markowitz (972.618.1997), Laura Matisoff (214.789.0591), Earl Bills (465.585.1049), Steve Popik (972.895.0184) or email ReadingNames@congregationbethtorah.org.