Let’s be frank… for some Jewish children, religious school and Hebrew instruction are not the highlights of the week.
We are passionate about changing that.
Our Learning Center offers classes for grades K-10 on Wednesday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:45 and Sunday mornings from 9 to noon. Director of Congregational Learning, Beri Schwitzer, is ardently committed to instilling a sense of love, appreciation, and commitment to Judaism in every Beth Torah family and Rabbi Elana Zelony has an extensive background in Jewish education, and together they oversee an innovative, multimedia curriculum that concentrates on these areas:
- Prayer book and modern Hebrew to make students comfortable at synagogue services and prepare them for the streets of Israel.
- Jewish observances, lifecycles and customs to enhance family life and strengthen their Jewish identities.
- The history of the Jewish people from Biblical times through the rebirth of Israel, to foster a sense of pride and belonging, as well as an understanding of the joy and challenges of Israel today.
- Weekly electives, including art, cooking, music, drama, and the art of storytelling with the Rabbi to add variety and fun to the Jewish school experience and allow students to pursue individual interests.
- Study of Torah thru the weekly portions and how Torah is present in our daily lives
Of course, our rabbi, teachers and tutors prepare our children for their Bar and Bat Mitzvahs – but not as a one-weekend celebration. We see it as just one milestone in a lifelong Jewish journey that we nurture from their earliest years to adulthood. We are proud that our students continue to lead Shabbat and Holiday services long after their Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, and that many Learning Center graduates are raising their own families at Beth Torah.
Want to know more or schedule a visit? Call us at 972.234.1542 x224 or email the Hebrew School office at LC-Office@congregationbethtorah.org.